Thoracic Oncology Specialists
Most cases of mesothelioma are treated by an interdisciplinary team of doctors rather than by a single physician. Following is a list of the types of health care workers you may have contact with and their primary duties.
- A doctor specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of lung disorders.
- Thoracic Surgeon
- A doctor specializing in surgery of the heart, lungs, esophagus, and mediastinum.
- Medical Oncologist
- A doctor specializing in the care of cancer patients and an expert in the use of chemotherapy to treat cancer.
- Radiation Oncologist
- A doctor specializing in the care of cancer patients and an expert in the use of radiation to treat cancer.
- A doctor specializing in the interpretation of imaging studies, such as x-rays, CT scans, MRIs, and ultrasound.
- A doctor specializing in diagnosing the abnormal changes in tissues removed during biopsy or postmortem examinations.
- Thoracic Oncology Nurse Coordinator
- A registered nurse responsible for the coordination of the oncology program in collaboration with the surgical director and interdisciplinary team.
- Social Worker
- A professional trained to help patients learn to cope with their health problems by providing counseling and information about available resources.
- Respiratory Therapist
- A professional trained to evaluate, treat, and care for patients with breathing disorders.
To receive a FREE Mesothelioma Web information packet* or to make a request, please fill out the following form :