University of California, San Diego (UCSD) Moores Cancer Center
Rebecca and John Moores UCSD Cancer Center
University of California, San Diego
Dennis A. Carson, M.D., Director
3855 Health Sciences Drive, Room 2247
La Jolla, California 92093-0658
Google map of UCSD Cancer Center location
Tel: (858) 822-1222
Fax: (858) 822-1207
The University of California San Diego Cancer Center was first founded in 1979 with a core grant from the National Cancer Institute (NCI). Since then, it has continued to receive NCI core grant support, and in 2001 achieved comprehensive cancer center status. That same year, it was renamed to reflect a generous grant from Rebecca and John Moores.
In 2005, a new 270,000 square-foot Cancer Center building was inaugurated. Combining cancer research and patient care under a single roof, the building features a molecular-level oncogenesis research laboratory which studies the etiology and risks for cancer and conducts advanced clinical trials targeted toward the creation of a molecular-based early diagnostics program and more effective treatments.
As one of just 40 cancer centers in the United States operating under NCI designation as a Comprehensive Cancer Center, Moores functions within a paradigm of medical excellence based on scientific innovation and clinical superiority. Ranked 39th in the nation (in 2007) for cancer treatment excellence by U.S. News and World Report, Moores Cancer Center supports an entire cancer regimen from genetic research to prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Using a singular approach to research and care, this “bench-to-bedside” model is exemplified by a multidisciplinary approach which brings in specialists from multiple disciplines – medical, surgical and radiation oncology, nursing, social work and genetic counseling – to devise and implement the best possible approach to caring for each patient. Running an average of 150 open clinical trials at any one time, the Center studies promising new therapies both at the molecular and demographic level and devises cancer prevention and treatment modules ranging from smoking cessation to pain management.
In 2007, Moores Cancer Center was the first facility in the state, and the second in the nation, to provide SAVI applicator as a regimen for breast cancer treatment and tissue conservation to women in the early stages of breast cancer.
Using minimally invasive, single-entry, multi-catheter delivery of radiation to remaining cancerous breast tissue after lumpectomy, this SAVI technique permits the salvage of healthy tissue by targeting diseased tissue from inside the breast, and the treatment regimen is typically reduced to two treatments per day for only five days, as compared to six or seven weeks for conventional radiation therapy.
In 2008, an additional $1.14-million grant from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation added to the facility’s ability to study the development and spread of breast cancer and devise advanced treatments for the 2.4 million women living with this disease.